The Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995 makes it unlawful to be in possession of alcohol, be drunk, or possess flares, smoke bombs, fireworks, etc at football matches.
Sections 20 of the Act create offences for any person to be within, or attempt to enter, the relevant area of a designated sports ground during the period of a designated sporting event if they are :
- in possession of a controlled container, or
- in possession of any alcohol, or
- in possession of any firework or smoke flare etc., or
Section 21 of the Act provides that a constable may :
- enter any designated sports ground during the period of a designated sporting event,
- search any person reasonably suspected of committing an offence against section 20 of the Act,
- seize any container (and its contents) if it is reasonably suspected of containing alcohol, or if it is a controlled container,
- seize any fireworks etc.,
- arrest any person whom they have reasonable cause to suspect has committed an offence against section 20 of the Act.