The Bairns bounced back from several disappointing results to get a much-needed victory against Clyde.

Conor Sammon caused problems throughout the game, and the Irishman had his first chance in the first five minutes. A ball over the top fell to Sammon, but his lob over David Mitchell landed just wide of the post.  The big striker was involved in the build up to the opening goal four minutes later when he was against slipped through, but David Mitchell did well to push his effort around the post. Mark Durnan’s header from the resulting corner was stopped on the line, before being cleared as far as Kai Fotheringham. The youngster’s shot was blocked, but Ben Hall was there to slide in and force it home.

Following the goal Clyde had several good chances, with David Goodwillie nearly catching out the Falkirk defence in the best of these, but Falkirk also continued to create in what was a very entertaining game. Blair Alston and Charlie Telfer were dominant in midfield, with the latter producing several fantastic passes to send Callumn Morrison clear, but the winger struggled to pick his final ball and couldn’t score past an in-form goalkeeper in Mitchell.

Just before the break Falkirk had another excellent chance, once again through Conor Sammon. Callumn Morrison’s cross was met by a header, but Mitchell again pulled off a great save to keep the deficit to one.

Following half time Clyde made three changes, and shortly after Falkirk were forced into one of their own. Goal scorer Ben Hall went down and was unable to continue, which saw him replaced by young loanee Kyle McClelland. The high tempo of the match continued, with Falkirk playing well but struggling to find the killer final ball. Charlie Telfer’s effort from range was as close as it got before Aidan Keena got his first goal since returning from his long spell out injured. Morrison’s ball was cleared as far as the edge of the box, and the Irish striker didn’t hesitate as he smashed home a very welcome goal with his weak foot.

After doubling their lead, The Bairns had a couple of good chances, with Blair Alston’s free kick from miles out saved and Aidan Keena smashing the bar after pushing past the Clyde defence. Despite this, the visitors were the ones to pull one back with six minutes to go as Josh Jack snuck one under Robbie Mutch from the edge of the box to cause a tense end to the game.

Several long throws late on caused nervous moments, but The Bairns saw things out to secure all three points ahead of next Saturday’s crunch tie against Cove Rangers.


FULL TIME: Falkirk 2-1 Clyde


FALKIRK: Mutch, Durnan, Dixon, Hall, Alston, Keena, Neilson, Sammon, Fotheringham, Telfer, Morrison.

Subs: Cantley, Mercer, Miller, Gomis, Leitch, McClelland, Francis, Deveney, Miller.

CLYDE: Mitchell, Jamieson, Rumsby, Howie, Munro, Otoo, Nicoll, Cuddihy, Lang, Goodwillie, Cunningham

Subs: Wilson, Bain, McNiff, Love, Jack, Robertson, Butterworth, Thomson, Lamont

Crunchy Carrots Web Design, Social Media, Photography and Video Falkirk, Edinburgh and Glasgow