The Club wish to provide supporters with an update on Saturday’s League One fixture with Cove Rangers.

As many of you will know the Club was made aware last week, via our routine testing regime, that five members of our first-team squad had returned positive COVID results.  As a result of further investigation, an additional nine players from our first-team squad were identified as ‘close-contacts’ and as such were entered into a government-mandated period of ten day self-isolation.  A total of fourteen players have been unavailable to take part in any training or match preparation for the past week.  

Nine of those players are able to exit the mandatory period of self-isolation at 12:01am on Friday morning, just over 24 hours before our fixture with Cove Rangers.  The five remaining players can emerge from isolation at 12:01am on Saturday morning, a mere 15 hours before kick-off (these players are subject to a longer period of rehabilitation in accordance with agreed protocols).

We have been engaged in dialogue with the SPFL for the past week to request a postponement for Saturday’s fixture given the difficult circumstances and on the grounds of player welfare.  As a Club, we find it unacceptable that the SPFL expect our players, who will have been isolating for ten days with limited opportunity for exercise or match preparation, to engage in a competitive fixture at such short notice.  This pays no respect to either the physical or mental condition of our players.

Our request for a postponement has been rejected by the SPFL, despite the serious medical and welfare evidence which we have provided to them.  We have also highlighted several examples of precedent where fixtures have been postponed.   Our players have also made representations and sought advice from PFA Scotland to endorse our case for a postponement of the fixture.  Our measured requests, accompanied by evidence and suitable alternative dates for the fixture to be played, have been met with the threat of disciplinary action from the SPFL.

Needless to say, we remain disappointed by the approach adopted by the SPFL and should we be forced to play Saturday’s fixture it will be under duress and an action that we believe risks the health and wellbeing of our players and does nothing to enhance the credibility of the league or the decision making process of the SPFL.

We have asked for the matter to be referred as a matter of urgency to the SPFL board, which unfortunately does not meet again until tomorrow (Thursday).  Until the board deliberates we cannot provide supporters with a concrete answer on whether Saturday’s fixture will go ahead.  We apologise that you as supporters are still without clarity but we hope the aforementioned demonstrates that we have been pushing for clarification on this matter for the past week and that our priority remains the health and wellbeing of our staff and players. 

We will keep supporters updated as soon as we can. 

Crunchy Carrots Web Design, Social Media, Photography and Video Falkirk, Edinburgh and Glasgow