Falkirk travelled to Paisley on Sunday to take on Gleniffer Thistle.

The Bairns showed they were up for it in the opening five minutes. Winger Ellie Roberts released midfielder Carolanne Cullen but her shot bounced back off the post and was cleared for a corner. The opening goal wouldn’t be long delayed though and both players would finish the afternoon with a brace each.

The scoring began on eight minutes. Roberts swung the ball in from the left and top scorer Suzanne Wyatt steered it beyond the keepers grasp to put Falkirk ahead. Roberts herself added a second two minutes later, with a shot from distance that eluded the keeper and nestled in the bottom corner.

Gleniffer responded on 26 minutes with a freekick that struck the bar and bounced away to safety. It was the first and final threat they posed to the Falkirk goal all afternoon. Falkirk responded with a freekick of their own which also came off the bar. This was the second time in two weeks that Wyatt had beaten the keeper but lost out to the woodwork.

In 35 minutes, hit was three. Rhianne Ferguson won the ball in midfield, slipped it through to Wyatt and the forward played in Cullen who was making a run from midfield. This time the post was unable to prevent her netting, and in doing so Cullen opened her account for Falkirk after joining as a new recruit in the summer.

The fourth came on 38 minutes. Wyatt played a ball out to the channel, allowing Eva Rule to run in behind and lash a shot beyond the keeper before the defence could reach her.

At the halftime break coach Craig Tully stressed the need for his team to keep going. They obviously paid attention, because one minute into the second half Cullen hit a shot from outside the box to get her second of the game, and Falkirk’s fifth.

The sixth goal on 61 minutes came as a result of a good passing move. Centre half Iona Bridges drove forward and played in substitute Avril Johnstone who hit the bye line, her cross found Wyatt in a challenge with the goalkeeper. She played it back to Roberts who was unmarked and had all the time she needed to pick her spot.

On 76 mins it was seven. Roberts played the ball to substitute Caitlyn Stewart on the edge of the box. She easily evaded a challenge from the centre half, drove into the box and shot past the exposed keeper. Like Cullen, this was her debut goal for the Bairns after joining as a new recruit in the summer so well done to both.

The eighth and final goal came in the 89th minute, with Johnstone setting up Wyatt for the veteran striker to display her usual composed finishing as she added her second of the game.

It capped off a good afternoons work for the ladies, who are now rewarded with a week off before returning to face unbeaten Grampian on 18th September. This will be a tough test, but as our girls currently sit top of the league, having won four out of four, it’s a game they will go into with a great deal of confidence.

FALKIRK: Rachel Pirie (sub Sarah-Louise Waugh), Lauren Shaw, Iona Bridges, Aimee Lenathan, Amy Rafferty (sub Emma Meaney), Rhianne Ferguson, Lauren Simmons (sub Charlotte Holden), Carolanne Cullen  (sub Caitlynn Stewart), Ellie Roberts, Suzanne Wyatt, Eva Rule (sub Avril Johnstone).

Sponsored Advertising

See how we can boost your audience and help grow your business with a sponsored advertisement.

    Get Your 2022/23 Season Ticket Now!

    Get in touch today to book your next event at the falkirk stadium.