The Bairns returned to cinch League One action with a 2-0 win over Clyde.

Falkirk started the game at an extremely high tempo and created several chances within the opening five minutes, the closest of which came as Craig McGuffie cut in from the left and curled an effort off the crossbar from 20 yards out. Even at that early stage the goal was coming, but when it did on seven minutes it was from an unlikely source. An Aidan Nesbitt corner was flicked on by Coll Donaldson and fired into the back of the net by Stephen McGinn, who had peeled off his marker at the back post.

Mcginn’s strike opened the scoring for Falkirk, but Clyde came close to an equaliser in their first chance of the game minutes later. A slip deep in the Falkirk half gave the ball away, but Nicky Hogarth pulled off an excellent save to deny Ross Cunningham’s shot from the edge of the area. The resulting corner caused problems for Hogarth, but his defence managed to clear. Falkirk continued to pile on the pressure despite the Clyde chance and Callumn Morrison’s cross found Aidan Nesbitt, but the midfielder’s shot went over the bar. Minutes later Falkirk found their second. Falkirk found joy out wide again, this time through Leon McCann, and the full back’s deflected ball in fell to Stephen McGinn at the edge of the box, who smashed home his second of the afternoon.

Falkirk had complete control over the match and produced multiple good chances in the remainder of the first half. The ball fell to Aidan Nesbitt after Clyde failed to clear a cross, but he fired just over from six yards out, and Rumarn Burrell won a long ball to go through on goal, but the defender managed to hold him up to allow the goalkeeper to get a hand on his shot in the best two chances for The Bairns in what was left of the half.

Into the second half Falkirk continued to control the match, but were much more wasteful with their chances. Despite this they still made opportunities and came close to a third on several occassions. Liam Henderson found Rumarn Burrell with a great cutting pass, but a Clyde defender got across to make a tackle. From the resulting corner Stephen McGinn fired a cross over that Burrell met with an audacious bicycle kick, but a defender blocked the effort. Morrison then collected the ball at the edge of the area and tried a shot that forced a save from the goalkeeper as he tipped it away from the top corner.

Clyde were kept restricted to two good chances in the second half, with a free kick from 25-yards out and an attack that was cut out by Liam Henderson at the edge of the 6-yard box the only real opportunities of note as Falkirk cruised to the three points.

Full Time: Falkirk 2-0 Clyde

Attendance: 3689

FALKIRK: Hogarth, Yeats, McCann, Henderson, Donaldson, McGinn, Oliver, Nesbitt, Morrison, McGuffie, Burrell

Subs: Martin, McKay, Mackie, Hetherington, Ross, Lawal, Kennedy, Alegria, Malcolm

CLYDE: Mullen, Cuddihy, McLean, Grant, Kennedy, Gomis, Grant, Lyon, Cameron, Roberts, Cunningham

Subs: Parry, Thicot, Allan, Rodden, Scullion, McDonald, Craig, Nyamsi Hendji, Sula

Sponsored Advertising

See how we can boost your audience and help grow your business with a sponsored advertisement.

    Get Your 2022/23 Season Ticket Now!

    Get in touch today to book your next event at the falkirk stadium.