The Bairns got an important three points after a long trip up North to face Peterhead.

The home side immediately settled into a rigid 4-5-1 formation, inviting Falkirk to bring the game to them. This strategy almost led to a good chance when Connor O’Keefe nearly went through from a ball over the top, but The Bairns soon settled into controlling the match in front of the Peterhead defensive lines, and they created two golden opportunities in the opening ten minutes. The first came following good pressure from Rumarn Burrell to win the ball back just inside the Peterhead half, his one-two with Aidan Nesbitt saw him clear down the right flank. The striker found Callumn Morrison at the back post with his cross, but the Falkirk number seven was unable to manoeuvre his body to convert the chance. Minutes later Burrell was the one with the chance as a header back across goal found him unmarked in front of an empty net, but his shot hit his standing leg in what was a brilliant chance to go ahead in the match.

The following half an hour saw Falkirk continue to dominate on the ball, but Peterhead defended resolutely and made it difficult for The Bairns to create clear cut chances. The best opportunity came when a Callumn Morrison header was cleared off the line, but it took Peterhead creating their only real opportunity of the half for Falkirk to make the breakthrough. Nicky Hogarth was forced to tip a cross over the bar before the resulting header was flicked past the goalkeeper to the back post, but Gary Oliver managed to clear off the line. The Bairns broke well after nearly conceding and within 30 seconds Burrell was able to find Aidan Nesbitt in space, his ball across found Callumn Morrison clear and he made no mistake with the finish.

After going into half time a goal up John McGlynn’s side started the second period with a great opportunity. Callumn Morrison found Rumarn Burrell unmarked seven yards out with a cut back, but the striker blazed his shot over the bar. The match continued at a good pace throughout the second half, with Falkirk controlling play but Peterhead being far more involved in the play as they searched for an equaliser. The Bairns made two changes to freshen things up, with Kai Kennedy and Juan Alegria coming on, and both were involved in the second as the former found the latter with a great cross, and Alegria headed home to double Falkirk’s lead. A few moments later a great team move saw Kai Kennedy with a chance, he cannoned a shot off the crossbar that came back off a Peterhead man to get the third.

With Falkirk in the ascendancy several substitutes joined the match which had an impact on the intensity in the closing stages, as Falkirk comfortably saw the match out. Despite this The Bairns added a third when a corner was met by Liam Henderson who beat the goalkeeper with his header. As the game grew to a close the referee struggled to keep control as both sides began to grow frustrated with each other and the officials. Several bookings were issued for niggly challenges and substitute Juan Alegria was one of several players who saw yellow for disciplinary infractions, in the Columbian’s case for encroaching on a free kick. He was left to rue his first yellow moments later when he saw red after the referee judged him to have gone down to easily in the box.

Despite the late red card Falkirk never looked troubled and saw out a comfortable four nil win.


Full Time: Peterhead 0-3 Falkirk

Attendance: 722

FALKIRK: Hogarth, Yeats, McCann, Henderson, Donaldson, McGinn, Nesbitt, Oliver, McGuffie, Morrison, Burrell

Subs: Martin, McKay, Mackie, Ross, Lawal, Hetherington, Kennedy, Malcolm, Alegria

PETERHEAD: Ritchie, Gillies, Strachan, McDonald, Brown, Strachan, Wilson, Carre, Hewitt, Dow, O’Keefe

Subs: Wood, Brown, Hefzalla, Asare, Scullion, McLeod

Sponsored Advertising

See how we can boost your audience and help grow your business with a sponsored advertisement.

    Get Your 2022/23 Season Ticket Now!

    Get in touch today to book your next event at the falkirk stadium.