The Bairns claimed their place in the Scottish Gas Scottish Cup fourth round with a comprehensive win over Highland League side Formartine United.

Falkirk got their first chance very early on when a lofted cross saw Ross MacIver’s headed effort go just wide.

There was then a massive chance for the Bairns to go in front as Ross MacIver’s shot was cleared off the line, with Falkirk still searching for an early goal.

Callum Morrison played a floating cross into the box, and the Formartine defence had difficulty dealing with the cross as it went out for a corner.

With 20 minutes on the clock Falkirk had been dominant on the ball and put lots of pressure on the Formartine defence but had not been able to create any clear-cut chances so far. The Bairns were creating a lot of chances down the right-hand side through Finn Yeats and Callum Morrison but had still to properly test the visiting goalkeeper.

The visitors had their first chance of the game when Wade was able to get past Tom Lang, however Coll Donaldson was able to recover the ball.

Falkirk’s first goal came just after 33 minutes in, when Ethan Ross smashed his left-footed effort first time on the edge of the box and rifled it into the top corner! It was a great day to score his first Falkirk goal after renewing his loan deal keeping him at the club until the end of the season only that morning.

Only just four minutes after the Bairns opener Falkirk doubled their lead through Calvin Miller as he got on the end of Callum Morrison’s and headed it past the goalkeeper!

Like Deja vu Falkirk got another quick goal after Miller’s header, with Ross MacIver’s effort from just inside the post finding it’s into the back of the new!

The referee blew for half time, with the Bairns holding a comfortable three goal lead.

In the opening spell of the second half Falkirk created a number of chances, but nothing came of them, the best of these was a Liam Henderson effort, but his shot was over the bar.

Two great chances for Falkirk came around 60 minutes as Liam Henderson’s long-range effort clipped the post and Callum Morrison was denied by the goalkeeper after a great run.

Five substitutions for the Bairns came just after the hour mark as Ola Lawal, Jordan Allan, Sean Mackie, Alfredo Agyeman, and Layton Bisland came on for Ross Maclver, Calvin Miller, Callum Morrison, Leon McCann, and Ethan Ross.

Over 75 Minutes, Allan had a great opportunity to get the Bairns their fourth goal, but his shot hit off the inside of the post and came back out.

With full time looming the Bairns had most of the possession and were able to create another chance through Nesbitt and Finn Yeats.

Full time was blown meaning that Falkirk had secured their place in the fourth round of the Scottish Gas Scottish cup. Goals from Ethan Ross, Calvin Miller and McIver helped the Bairns secure their fourth-round spot. Man of the Match was awarded to Finn Yeats.

Falkirk: N Hogarth, T Lang, L McCann, L Henderson, C Donaldson ©, C Morrison, A Nesbitt, F Yeats [Maclver 38’] [Ross 33’] [Miller 36’]

Subs: S Long, J Allan, A Agyeman, L Bisland, O Lawal, S Mackie, C McNab, C McCrone

Goals: [Ross 33’], [Miller 36’], Maclver 38’]

Formartine United:  E MacDonald, R Thomas, S Smith, R Spink, M McLean, M Lawrence, J Wade, G Rodger ©, A Emslie, D Lobban, A Norris

Subs: L Wilson, J Stewart, S Lisle, J Crawford, P Campbell, B Alberts, A Combe, J Ritchie

Attendance: 2273 (125 away)

Match report by Ben Stirling

Join the Falkirk Supporters Society

Have a say in how our Club is run - join the FSS!

    Donate to the Forever Falkirk Fund!

    All donations will directly support the football budget at Falkirk FC.