The Bairns went 14 points clear at the top of the cinch League One table after a comprehensive victory over Montrose.

It was another big match at The Falkirk Stadium, and The Bairns would go ahead only five minutes on the clock, after a looping ball by Ethan Ross was deflected by Machado and the ball went over the keeper to put the Bairns ahead.


There was then a big chance for the visitors after Montrose attacked with pace down the left-hand side, but Blair Lyon’s shot was drilled wide. Soon after great play Falkirk had a chance to put themselves two goals up, after a deflected clearance Shanley only had the keeper to beat, but his effort was deflected off the goalkeeper.


Midway through the first half came a second goal from the Bairns as, after being selected in the starting line-up, Sean Mackie got the ball on the left-side and drilled in a ball which found Aidan Nesbitt who tapped in, with The Bairns now two ahead.


Callumn Morrison was then played through, he burst forward and hit from range, his shot was deflected and went out for a corner. The ball was whipped in and found Coll Donaldson who’s headed effort was deflected off the Montrose defence and then cleared away.


A big chance came for Callumn Morrison as he found himself on the end of a Liam Henderson header. His effort was over the bar, then almost a minute later Ethan Ross’s first-time effort in the box went just wide of the post, with Falkirk coming up with lots of chances so far. The referee blows for half-time with the Bairns ahead by two goals.


Just two minutes into the second half, Liam Henderson got past his man and whipped a ball into the box, the defence clears the ball, but it fell to Ryan Shanley who hit a great shot which was saved by the keeper.


The Bairns then had the ball in the back of the net by Ryan Shanley, but it was overruled by the referee. Liam Henderson then went into the referee’s book after a late sliding challenge on Hester and Montrose won a freekick, the ball was floated in, but Hogarth was there to easily catch it.


Falkirk then came close again as Callumm Morrison received the ball inside the box, his effort came off the side of the post from a tight angle. Finn Yeats is booked after a two-handed shove against Blair Lyons.


Ross Maclver went through on goal after a deflection against his man, Maclver decided to go on his own and got past his man, but his shot was wide. A great effort from the visitors followed after a ball was into the box and an acrobatic effort was well saved by the keeper.


A great chance came for the Bairns, as Alfredo Agyeman’s pinged pass found Calvin Miller out wide, he cut inside the box and beat his man, but his effort was denied by the keeper. Soon after Falkirk got their third of the night, as Gary Oliver was played through on goal by Brad Spencer, his shot finds the back of the net.


Full time at the Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk pick up a massive three points which sends the Bairns 14 points clear at the top of the Cinch League One table.




N Hogarth, T Lang, L Henderson, C Donaldson ©, C Morrison, B Spencer, A Nesbitt, F Yeats, R Shanley, E Ross, S Mackie



S Long, L McCann, S McGinn, A Agyeman, D Tait, R Maclver, G Oliver, L Bisland, C Miller



[M Machado OG’5], [A Nesbitt 20’], [G Oliver 90’]



C Gil, A Steeves, A Quinn, G Webster, K Hester, B Lyons, A Shrive, L Graham, H Craig, C Brown, M Machado




  1. Matthews, P Watson, M Gardyne, S Dillon, C Batchelor L Callaghan


Attendance: 4197 (41 away)


Man of the match: Aidan Nesbitt


Match report by Ben Stirling

Join the Falkirk Supporters Society

Have a say in how our Club is run - join the FSS!

    Donate to the Forever Falkirk Fund!

    All donations will directly support the football budget at Falkirk FC.